[gentoo-user] Gentoo froze after 25 days of being up
Rafael Bugajewski
2006-03-24 15:40:11 UTC
Chad Feller
2006-03-24 16:30:24 UTC
That may or may not yield anything useful, depending on which logger you
are using (as some don't write immediately).
Philip Webb
2006-03-24 17:10:09 UTC
I've had Gentoo on my home server for a little over a year now.
I've never had a problem with it outright freezing until recently.
Yesterday I was playing World of Warcraft on my home PC
I have a kvm switch so I had WoW running on my main PC
while I was working on the screen for the server.
I had just typed emerge -av net-ping then typed yes,
it got 3 lines into the emerge and the server froze.
Internet access stopped working on the home PC (WoW disconnected),
screen froze on tty1, could not change virtual screens,
keyboard would not type & no lock keys (caps, scroll, etc.) would work.
Ctrl+alt+del wouldn't work, and I couldn't even ssh into it.
Judging from previous reports of similar problems, it sounds like hardware.
Overheating ? Bad memory ? Mobo failure somewhere ?
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : ***@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
Mark Shields
2006-03-24 21:50:11 UTC
--
Thanks for the replies.

It only did it once. I figured it might possibly be a hardware failure
since I'm using used parts/refurbished parts, but I was wanting to
know if I can check any log files to see exactly why, or enable some
form of extended logging to
pick it up if it happens again. I use syslog-ng for my system logger.
I checked /var/log/messages and didn't find anything.
Here is the last line before it froze from that log file and the first line
immediately after:

Mar 23 20:29:55 laeb named[9770]: lame server resolving '
x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa' (in '128.202.84.in-addr.arpa'?): x.x.x.x#53
Mar 23 20:38:39 laeb syslog-ng[8723]: syslog-ng version 1.6.9 starting

--
- Mark Shields